This classic salad from the island of Capri, just off Italy’s southern coast near Naples, relies on just four perfect ingredients: vine-ripened tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, bright green basil and fruity olive oil.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma.
- 8 ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, preferably sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 On a platter, alternate slices of tomato and mozzarella.
- 2 Garnish generously with basil leaves, tucking some underneath the tomatoes.
- 3 Drizzle the olive oil over all, and then sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Serve immediately.