These star shaped cookies, made with Brach’s star candy, make a beautiful addition to your holiday table.
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cherry syrup
- 2 drops red food coloring (optional)
- 1 Preheat oven to 275ºF.
- 2 Beat egg whites until frothy. Gradually beat in sugar and cream of tartar. Add the syrup and food coloring and beat on high until stiff peaks form. The mixture will be slightly glossy.
- 3 Drop spoonsful onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and shape into mounds., flattening out the center. Bake for 15 minutes, then leave in the oven but turn off the heat and leave the door open a little. Leave the cookies in the oven until dry, about another 30 minutes.
- 4 Transfer to cooling rack and let cool. Then take a chocolate candy kiss or star and insert into the center (carefully hollow out a depression if necessary, but don't worry about a little cracking).