We learned this recipe for macaroni and cheese casserole in early marriage, when funds were low and appetites high. It’s a great family recipe and always a winner at potlucks as well. It has great versatility – you can use chicken from a can or fresh, substitute tuna, add any cooked veggies that appeal, and try different cream soups or cheeses. You can also double the recipe easily for a crowd.
- 1 box macaroni and cheese
- 1/4 cup + 1/2 can milk
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 can chunk white meat chicken (or tuna)
- 1 can Cream of Celery soup (or Cream of Mushroom)
- 1 cup Colby-Jack or Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2 Make macaroni and cheese according to package directions, using the specified 1/4 cup milk and 1/4 cup butter or margarine plus the cheese sauce mix included in the package.
- 3 Add to the macaroni and cheese the chicken, soup, 1/2 soup can of milk, and stir well. Note: Do NOT add the water as directed on the soup can. Use only the can ingredients.
- 4 Pour into casserole dish and top with shredded cheese.
- 5 Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly and brown.
- 6 Serve with salad, peas and bread for a complete meal.