This recipe puts a new twist on the classic bananas Foster. We use maple syrup instead of the traditional brown sugar, and pair sautéed bananas with waffles and whipped cream to produce a delicious breakfast dish.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup dark rum (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract
- 4 bananas, peeled and cut diagonally into slices
- 1/2 inch thick
- 4 large waffles
- Sweetened whipped cream for serving
- 1 In a large sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter with the maple syrup. Stir in the cinnamon, rum and vanilla and simmer for 1 minute.
- 2 Add the bananas to the pan and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bananas to a serving plate. Pour the maple syrup mixture into a sauceboat. Serve immediately with waffles and whipped cream.