Fresh fruits and herbs make a refreshing summer salad. The watermelon also makes a beautiful serving dish.
Recipe courtesy of Chinet.
Copyright 2009. The Food Channel®. All Rights Reserved. For permission to use in a printed cookbook or commercial website, please contact Editor.
- 1/2 watermelon
- 1 cantaloupe, cut in half, seeded
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped mint leaves plus whole sprigs, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped basil leaves plus whole sprigs, for garnish
- 1 lemon juiced (1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup simple syrup (equal amounts sugar and water heated until sugar dissolves, cool)
- 1/8 teaspoon amaretto
- 1 Scoop 2 cups each from the watermelon and the cantaloupe using a melon baller.
- 2 Carve the remainder of the watermelon out and reserve shell.
- 3 Add to a blender the chopped mint, chopped basil, lemon juice, simple syrup and amaretto. Blend until smooth.
- 4 Add the watermelon and cantaloupe balls to the carved out watermelon half. Add the vinaigrette to the balls and toss to combine. Garnish with the mint and basil sprigs and taste.