Golden, cheesy, and with that hint of ham, this Duchess Gratin Potato Slab is a great addition to your dinner table.
The flavor of loaded potatoes, the texture of classic Duchess spuds and the look of slab pie. Did I mention it’s easy as well? Using leftover mashed potatoes is also perfectly suitable for this preparation!
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 3 cups Yukon gold potatoes, cooked, mashed and cooled
- Melted butter, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 ounces capitol ham, sliced thin
- 4 thick slices provolone cheese
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1 Spray an 8-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- 2 In large mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form using an electric mixer; set aside.
- 3 In another large bowl, add potatoes, butter, salt and pepper to taste, garlic powder and milk.
- 4 With an electric mixer, beat until as smooth as possible. Fold the beaten egg whites into the potato mixture until fully incorporated.
- 5 Spread half the potato mixture into prepared pan. Lay the ham on top, followed by cheese.
- 6 Sprinkle bread crumbs over everything and bake 35-40 minutes, or until topping is crisp and just starting to brown.
- 7 Remove from oven to serve immediately.