Ahhh…yeah! Lightly breaded cheese grilled until the outside is crisp and the inside is melting. Serve with a Southern Tomato Gravy for a truly decadent treat.
Tomato Gravy is also, and classically, served on top of biscuits in the South, so try it either way!
- 1 package (14 ounces) paneer cheese
Southern Fresh Tomato Gravy
- 1 teaspoon butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic in oil
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes, small dice
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup milk, cream or creme fraiche
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- To taste, salt and black pepper
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons oil
- 1 Slice cheese until at least 1 1/2-inches thick, and any circumference you desire; set aside in refrigerator.
For Southern Tomato Gravy
- 1 Make gravy by melting butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and tomatoes, stirring until combined.
- 2 Cook, stirring frequently, until tomatoes have broken down, about 4-5 minutes.
- 3 Add tomato paste, blending in until completely dissolved. Add milk, cheese, salt and black pepper to taste, Continue cooking and stirring for an additional 3 minutes.
- 4 Remove from heat and keep warm.
For Egg Wash and Breading
- 1 For the egg wash and breading, whisk egg whites and hot sauce well in one bowl and in another, combine cornmeal and black pepper.
- 2 In a large skillet(preferably nonstick), add the oil and place over medium high heat.
- 3 When oil is hot, dip each slice of cheese into egg white mixture and then cornmeal mixture, coating both sides liberally.
- 4 Carefully place into hot oil and continue until skillet is full. Cook, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes, or until the underside is well browned.
- 5 Flip over and brown the opposite side. Immediately serve with hot Southern Fresh Tomato Gravy.