TrendWire is an email newsletter distributed primarily to food professionals to alert them to news and trends. It is provided here for the consumer who likes to keep up on what’s happening in the world of food.
New Chains Look at Serving Breakfast
With at least 20% (and possibly closer to 30%, depending on who you ask) of breakfast diners stopping at a nearby McDonald’s each day, that chain may have a firm hold on the breakfast market, but that’s not stopping others from looking for a piece of the estimated $34 billion (yes, billion with a â€˜bâ€™) pie.
Here are a few chains who are at least testing the big jump into the breakfast game:
- Taco Bell is testing breakfast in several markets. Rumor has it, the breakfast menu includes items such as Country Breakfast Burrito, a sausage and bacon “Grilled Stuft” burrito, a Southwest sausage burrito, an egg, bacon and cheese burrito, and Breakfast Steak Quesadilla.
- Wendy’s announced that it will begin serving breakfast in 20% of its stores. The rumored menu includes nugget-sized Western Omelet Bites for $1.99, a Breakfast Sandwich on pan bread or biscuit for $1.99 and a Big Breakfast Sandwich on a kaiser or Frescata roll offered at $2.49. Look for French Toast sticks to make an appearance too.
- California Pizza Kitchen ASAPâ€”The fast-casual sister of California Pizza Kitchen is serving breakfast pizzas, paninis and omelets in some locations.
Other chains making menu changes in an attempt to earn market share â€”
- Burger King introduced its breakfast $1 menu with 10 items.
- Hardee’s does 45% of its business at breakfast, and continually innovates with limited-time offerings. Most recently they are offering a smoked sausage biscuit that is meeting with mixed reviews.
- Carl’s Junior, the Hardee’s sister brand, added a breakfast burger, â€˜a charbroiled all-beef patty, Fresh Fried Egg, Crisp Bacon, American Cheese, Hash Brown Nuggets and Ketchup on a Sesame Seed Bun,â€™ to its growing breakfast business.
- Subway serves breakfast at its nontraditional locations such as airports, universities and military bases. It has 6 different sandwiches in the basic cheese, egg, meat genre.
- Dunkin’ Donuts, which has had bagel sandwiches on the menu (pictured here) for awhile, has now added oven-toasted flatbreads, pizzas and hash browns to an all-day menu.
If you’d like to receive any of these stories as they originally appeared in TrendWire, or be added to our email list, let us know by emailing Editor.