Whole Foods Market announced it has launched â€˜Destination Summerâ€™ to celebrate summer eating across America, whether it be at backyard barbecues, family picnics or laid back dinner parties al fresco. The seasonal taste tour and journey of local flavors from coast to coast kicks off with a sweepstakes to win WeberÂ® Grills and a VIP concert trip for Farm Aid 2008 along with a recipe-filled Destination Summer grilling guide, available in all Whole Foods Market stores in the U.S.
â€˜Whether your summer adventures include a road trip or your backyard becomes your vacation spot, we’re packed and ready to roll with all the tips and recipes you need for easy and delicious summertime meals,â€™ said Theo Weening, global meat senior coordinator of Whole Foods Market.
Destination Summer kicks off by offering a sampling of sensational summertime meal solutions ranging from easy to adventurous. Along the way, Whole Foods Market stores will feature select regional and local recipes, seasonal ingredients, food experts and local farmers and producers. The free grilling guide offers a road map of great summer meals and includes tips from Whole Foods Market resident foodies as well as foremost grilling experts including Bobby Flay, host of the Food Network program Boy Meets Grill.
A series of in-store guides and a web travelogue will provide a close look at examples of American favorites, from organic blueberry pie to grilled corn on the cob.
Destination Summer highlights include:
- Grilling it Green: Small changes and smarter choices can help the Earth, even when you’re grilling; and maximizing natural flavors equals sure-fire grilling winners.
- Grilling Basics: Growing up in a family butcher shop in Holland, Whole Foods Market’s global meat coordinator Theo Weening offers tricks of the trade and safe grilling tips, including his best tip for perfectly grilled meat or poultry: an instant-read thermometer.
- Pairing Kabobs and Marinades: Take the guesswork out of grill seasonings with Whole Ranch Marinades. Whether it’s chicken, beef, lamb, fish, shrimp or veggies, marinades kick up the flavor of any grilled dish.
- Grilling with Southern Style: Home to okra, grits, hush puppies and the sweetest peaches this side of desire, the South doesn’t take a back seat when it comes to food. So lean back and let Southern hospitality and ingenuity win over your taste buds.
- East Coast Grilling: From Maine lobster to the blue crab of Chesapeake Bay, the East Coast is America’s seafood destination. Become the neighborhood celebrity chef when you grill up Whole Foods Market’s top East Coast recipe favorites.
- Grilling with Southwestern Flavor: In the land of cowboys, cactus and creative cuisine, beef, chiles and watermelon rule the summer table. These great flavors are law in the Southwest, so you know you’re in for some good eatin’.
- Grilling with the Heartland: The Midwest in summer is a cornucopia of fresh tastes: free-range bison, Iowa corn, freshwater fish and fresh herbs. From the Great Lakes to the Western plains and up to the northern border, Midwest America is a flavor adventure.
In addition, shoppers can enter the Whole Foods Market Online Sweepstakes. The first-prize winner will win an exclusive VIP trip for two to Farm Aid 2008 Presented by Whole Foods Market and Horizon Organic; 12 second-prize winners will receive a WeberÂ® â€˜Performer GrillÂ®â€™ Charcoal Grill; and 25 third-prize winners will receive a copy of Food Network’s grill expert Bobby Flay’s new cookbook Bobby Flay’s Grill It! There is no purchase necessary. Entry deadline is June 18th. See here for rules and restrictions.