Are you a gardener currently inundated with zucchini? A gardener’s neighbor who keeps finding a bag left homeless on your front porch? Are you taking bushels to work with you along with recipes for zucchini bread, zucchini casserole, grilled zucchini? If so, take a break from your zucchini dreams and check out our list of fun facts about one of the easiest vegetables to grow in your garden. Bet you’ll find out something you didn’t know before!
1. One zucchini has just 25 calories (compared to a baked potato, for example, which has 130 calories).
2. The flower of the zucchini plant is also edible. (If you dare.)
3. The world’s largest zucchini on record was 69 1/2 inches long, and weighed 65 lbs. Bernard Lavery of Plymouth Devon, UK, grew the humongous veggie.
4. According to World’s Healthiest Foods Nutrition info, nutrients and vitamins found in zucchini can help prevent cancer and heart disease.
5. A soap bar called Fresh Zucchini Flower Big Bar Goat’s Milk Soap (rolls off the tongue, no?) is made with real zucchini.
6. The Zucchini Brothers (pictured, above), a band from Saratoga Springs, N.Y., performs songs for young children.
7. A zucchini has more potassium than a banana.
8. The word zucchini comes from â€˜zuccaâ€™ the Italian word for squash.
9. Biggest is NOT best. The most flavorful zucchinis are small- to medium-sized.
10. The three-day Annual Zucchini Fest in Obetz, Ohio, claims to be “everything zucchini.” The event runs from August 27-30, 2009, and includes a parade, queen’s pageant, contests, arts and crafts, games and much more.
Kinda puts some perspective on your plethora of produce, doesn’t it?