With Father’s Day just days away, we offer food and food-related gift ideas for dear old Dad.
The National Association for the Specialty Food Trade (NASFT) has assembled a list of food gifts designed to appeal to any Dad, whether he’s a grill master, wine and cheese connoisseur or devoted snacker.
‘Gifts Dad Will Devour,’ a new article on foodspring.com, the NASFT’s website for consumers, presents 19 distinctive Father’s Day gifts. Suggestions include Char Crust Dry-Rub Seasonings, a trio of Pain is Good hot sauces in a caddy from Original Juan Specialty Foods, and dark chocolate cigars from Doral International.
For a new twist on neckties, foodspring.com has two picks: ties made of artisan chocolate from Woodhouse Chocolates, and real silk ties and bowties with food and wine motifs from Narsai’s Specialty Foods. ‘Specialty food is a great option as consumers look for affordable gifts,’ says Ann Daw, president of the NASFT. ‘We predict food will be a popular present this Father’s Day.’
Some 14 percent of American consumers gave the gift of specialty food last year, and 34 percent said they purchase it for a special occasion such as a holiday, according to NASFT research. For more gift suggestions, the NASFT recommends selecting from among the 2010 sofi™ Awards nominees for the outstanding specialty foods and beverages of the year. These are 125 of the best of the best products across 33 categories, including Outstanding Appetizer, Antipasto, Salsa and Dip, Outstanding Cooking Sauce or Flavor Enhancer, Outstanding Snack Food, and Outstanding Food Gift.
sofi Award honorees Dad might like include:
- Thai Chili Roasted Garlic Dipping Sauce from Wild Thymes Farm, Inc.
- Mild Indian Curry Ketchup from Dulcet Cuisine
- Bella Diavolo hot sauce from Bella Pepper
- Handcrafted Wild Boar Salami from Creminelli Fine Meats
- Cranberry Organo Tango nut mix from Nutorious
- Chewy Cookie Sampler from Dancing Deer Baking Co.
For the Dad Who Cooks
On Mashable.com we found a gift idea from Foodie Daddy blogger and professional chef/restaurateur Todd Singleton. He suggests a top-of-the-line, reliable tool for the kitchen, and three essentials to be exact: The knife, the pan, and the coffee machine. But before skipping over to the restaurant supply store, remember there are some great quality products for quality prices available online.
Following the Williams-Sonoma Outlet on Twitter and scoping out sites like Cooking.com, which offer exclusive deals, gift inspirations and the best in cookware out there, will make any “Foodie Father” excited to cook dinner for the family.
For Dads Who Love Sweets
Chicago artisanal chocolatier truffle truffle offers what they’re calling the Father’s Day Trifecta of sweet treat gift ideas.
For The All-American Guy
- Baseball Collection: This baseball collection transforms our favorite flavors of a summer day at the ballpark into delicious chocolates that are sure to evoke happy memories. The collection includes beer & pretzel, roasted peanut, strawberry lemonade and peach caramel.
For The Closeted Chocoholic
- White chocolate truffle collection: passionfruit, blackberry, elderflower, green tea
- Milk chocolate truffle collection: beer & pretzels, coconut – key lime, lavender, triple chocolate
- Dark chocolate truffle collection: champagne, espresso, peanut butter, pinot noir
For The Nature Lover
- Garden truffle collection: blackberry, raspberry, elderflower, lavender
- Spring Tower: herb-infused shortbread s’mores – strawberry basil, lemon rosemary, orange tarragon, mint