In the annual survey of the year’s top food stories commissioned by Hunter Public Relations, Americans put at the top of the list this summer’s massive oil spill and its repercussions on Gulf seafood.
This is the first time in three years that an environmental food story has captured the top spot in Hunter’s eighth annual survey. Hunter Public Relations is a leading public relations firm specializing in the food and beverage industry.
Here’s the full top ten list:
1. Impact of BP Oil Spill on Seafood Industry . Although overall seafood supplies have been declared as safe to eat by government agencies, private and academic groups, the perception lingers that the spill has tainted the seafood. The situation has left many Gulf fisheries and coastal businesses devastated. This was chosen as the year’s top food story by 68 percent of those surveyed.
2. Massive Nationwide Egg Recall . Coming in at a close second was the national outbreak of salmonella in eggs that sickened hundreds of people across the U.S., leading to a national recall. The salmonella bacteria spread to nearly 380 million chicken eggs distributed by Wright County Egg, one of the top egg producers in the country.
3. E. Coli Fear Leads to Major Beef Recall. The number three spot in the survey went to another massive recall when concern over possible E. coli contamination led a Southern California meat distributor to recall approximately 35,000 pounds of ground beef. Although no illnesses were reported, precautions were taken after bacteria were detected through biological sampling.
4. Calorie Count on Menus Goes National. Part of the healthcare reform package passed by Congress this year mandates that restaurant chains with 20 or more outlets put calorie information on menus and drive-thru signage.
5. Michelle Obama Helps Pass Senate Bill on Child Nutrition. The First Lady’s “Let’s Move” and “Chefs Move to School” campaigns helped push the school nutrition legislation through Congress. It’s considered to be a major victory in Mrs. Obama’s efforts to reach her stated goal to end childhood obesity within a generation.
Rounding out the top ten:
6. Major Food Companies Agree to Cut Sodium in Products
7. Similac Baby Formula Recall After Beetle Discovery
8. High Fructose Corn Syrup Rebranded as “Corn Sugar”
9. Jamie Oliver’s “Food Revolution”
10. Kraft Acquires Cadbury
For more insights and innovations check out CultureWaves®, the place to go for the latest observations in the World Thought Bank – events, ideas, trends and more. Add your own thoughts about anything in life – entertainment, design, technology, well-being and, yes, food. And, take a look at a few of our other Hot & Cool Trends.