Kids can wow Mom on her special day with these simple (and sweet!) homemade gift ideas, courtesy of Nielsen-Massey Vanilla. With just a few ingredients and easy to follow instructions, both treats can be made easily even by young children – with just a little supervision from Dad.
Pots de CrÃ¨me
For a creamy, sweet dessert for Mom that is quick and easy to assemble, try chocolate Pots de CrÃ¨me. With just five ingredients and three steps, it is a simple but delicious dish that school-age children can prepare with help from Dad.
1 pkg. (6 oz.) chocolate chips
3/4 cup milk
Dash of salt
1 teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract
Whipped cream (optional)
1. With help from an adult, scald the milk on the stovetop. (Scald milk by heating it in a sauce pan until it is almost boiling.) Remove from the stove.
2. Put all the other ingredients in a blender, chocolate chips first. Add the hot milk last. Blend on high for 2 minutes.
3. Pour immediately into 4 or 5 small cups, dividing equally. Put cups in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or more.
4. Top with whipped cream just before serving. Note: For an added chocolate flavor, add Nielsen-Massey Pure Chocolate Extract to the whipped cream to taste.
Mom’s Sweet Treat Vanilla Body Scrub
Younger children can help assemble this Mother’s Day spa-at-home treat that adds luxury – without calories! This luscious body scrub will show Mom how much she’s appreciated, and the calming scent of vanilla will make Mother’s Day the relaxing day she deserves.
1 Cup Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Sugar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 or 2 drops of an essential oil such as lavender, eucalyptus, etc.
Decorative, waterproof container
1. Mix ingredients together in a bowl.
2. Spoon into a decorative, waterproof container.
3. Wrap in decorative paper.
Instructions for use: Apply a small amount to damp skin while in shower or bath. Gently scrub skin with a soft washcloth. Rinse thoroughly.