This top ten list offers a unique window into the taste preferences of the country that now represents the second largest economy in the world. Namely, China.
They like their potato chips over there. Frito-Lay now sells a ton of its chips in China. And some of their Far East flavors are pretty far outâ€”at least to us Westerners.
Here’s the list, which we discovered on Web site Gunaxin Grub. Writer Jim Larsen offers some witty commentary along with his assessment of the flavors.
10. French Chicken (Huh?)
8. Mexican Tomato Chicken
7. Blueberry (Larsen says it’s pretty good.)
6. Lemon Tea (He says this one is really good, too.)
5. Hot & Sour Fish Soup (For some reason this flavor’s package features a photo of a fetching young lady in a strapless gown holding a pair of chopsticks.)
4. Little Tomato
3. Italian Red Meat (The Chinese way of saying Meatball?)
2. Numb and Spicy Hot Pot (Weird name, but Larsen says good flavor.)
And the number one seller in China…is… American Classic. Yep. Regular old standard issue Classic Lay’s Chips. Maybe the Chinese are becoming more like us.
For more insights and innovations check out CultureWavesÂ®, the place to go for the latest observations in the World Thought Bank â€“ events, ideas, trends and more. Add your own thoughts about anything in life â€“ entertainment, design, technology, well-being and, yes, food. And, take a look at a few of our other Hot & Cool Trends.
Have you seen an innovative product that will impact our food lives in the future? Let us know at Editor.