From pecans and chia seeds to coconut oil and berries, get your fill of superfoods with this colorful and nutritious acai berry pecan smoothie bowl.
Recipe and image courtesy of the American Pecan Council.
For the Smoothie Bowl
- 1 cup pecan milk* (see recipe below)
- 2 frozen unsweetened Acai puree pouches** (see recipe notes)
- 3 cups frozen mixed berries, slightly thawed (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries)
- 1/2 cup raw pecan pieces
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4-6 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 cup raw pecan halves
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 1/4 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1 1/4 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes
To Make Pecan Milk
- 3/4 cup raw pecans
- 3 cups water, plus additional for soaking
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Pecan Milk
- 1 Place the pecans in a bowl and cover them with water. Let them soak for 30 minutes, then drain. (Pecans can be soaked in refrigerator for up to 24 hours to achieve the creamiest consistency.)
- 2 In a blender, combine the soaked pecans, 3 cups water, vanilla extract, maple syrup, and kosher salt. Blend on high for 2 to 3 minutes until creamy.
- 3 Refrigerate about 1 hour until the liquids and solids separate. Strain the pecan milk through fine mesh strainer into a sealable 1-quart jar, using a spatula to push liquid through as necessary. Seal the top and refrigerate until cold; stores refrigerated for up to 1 week. Shake well before serving, as milk may separate over time.
To Make the Smoothie Bowl
- 1 Add pecan milk to a blender. Break Acai puree into small pieces and add to blender. Add remaining ingredients and blend until mixture is evenly mixed but still thick (similar to the consistency of soft serve ice cream).
- 2 Transfer smoothie to a bowl and top with fresh berries, pecan halves, hemp seeds, and coconut. Makes 2 large smoothie bowls or 4 small smoothie bowls.
- 1 Frozen acai pouches are available at most retailers but if you’re unable to find it, simply add 1 cup of extra frozen berries to replace the Acai puree.
- 2 If mixture is too thick to blend, add 1 Tablespoon of water at a time until mixture comes together.