Almond-Poppy Seed Bread made with almond paste, poppy seeds, quick bread. This recipe calls for almond paste, which is a blend of blanched ground almonds, sugar, and glycerin or another liquid. Sometimes almond extract is added to intensify the flavor. The paste is available in most supermarkets.
Recipe Courtesy of Williams-Sonoma Kitchen.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at romm temperature
- 1/4 cup almond paste
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 1-pound loaf pan.
- 2 In a small bowl, stir and toss together the flour, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds. Set aside.
- 3 In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the flat beater, beat the butter and almond paste on medium speed until smooth and light, 3 to 4 minutes. While the mixer is still running, slowly add the sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes; stop the mixer occasionally and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 4 Reduce the speed to very low and add the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the milk and beginning and ending with flour, beating each addition until just incorporated; stop the mixer occasionally and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- 5 Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes, then turn the loaf out onto the rack and let cool completely.
- 6 Makes 1 loaf.