Celebrate National Pasta Month this October with this healthy, spicy recipe. Angel hair, the second most popular pasta after spaghetti, is a delicate variety that is best when paired with lightly-structured sauces or seafood.
Recipe courtesy of Dreamfields® Pasta, created by nationally-acclaimed Chef Jim Coleman.
Nutrition information (1/4 of recipe): 461 calories; 33 g protein; 18 g digestible carbohydrates*; 13 g total fat; 2 g saturated fat; 225 mg cholesterol; 776 mg sodium; 6 g total dietary fiber.
NOTE: If traditional pasta is used in this recipe there is a total of 48 g carbohydrate.
Follow these pasta cooking tips courtesy of Dreamfields:
⋅ Use a large pot and plenty of water. For every pound of pasta, use at least 4 quarts of water.
⋅ Bring water to a full boil before adding pasta. Add salt, if desired.
⋅ Add pasta to boiling water gradually to prevent a boil-over, and stir gently.
⋅ Cook uncovered at a constant boil, stirring occasionally.
⋅ Test 2 minutes before recommended cook times on package to check for preferred tenderness. For best eating, pasta should be tender but still firm to the bite.
⋅ Drain well before adding sauces or other ingredients.
- 1/2 box Dreamfields Angel Hair
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined, patted dry
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped fesh italian parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Chopped basil (optional)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; rinse in cold water or ice water until completely cooled and drain well.
- 2 Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of shrimp; cook 3 to 5 minutes just until cooked through, stirring frequently.
- 3 Remove shrimp from skillet; set aside. Repeat with remaining oil and shrimp.
- 4 Stir wine into skillet with garlic. Add tomatoes and red pepper flakes. Continue cooking until liquid is reduced by half, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 5 Add pasta to skillet. Stir in parsley and basil. Add shrimp; heat through.
- 6 Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and additional chopped basil, if desired. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.