Radicchio and escarole are both members of the chicory family and are mildly bitter. Arugula is slightly peppery and combines well with these two distinctive components to make a classic Italian salad.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup baby arugula leaves
- 1/2 cup head radicchio, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 head escarole, pale yellow inner leaves only, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 In the bottom of a salad bowl, using a fork, gently mix together the olive oil, red wine vinegar and balsamic vinegar. Mix in the sea salt.
- 2 Add the arugula, radicchio, escarole and parsley but do not toss. Just before serving, toss to coat the greens with the vinaigrette. Serve immediately.