This Asian-inspired recipe combines a juicy grilled steak with stir-fried vegetables. Let the wok heat fully before adding the oil and vegetables. Toss and stir the ingredients frequently to ensure quick, even cooking.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
- FOR THE STEAK: 2 teaspoons Asian grilling rub*
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound flank steak, about 1 inch thick
- 1/4 cup Asian grilling glaze*
- FOR THE VEGETABLES: 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms, brushed clean and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 heads baby bok choy, each about 6 ounces, leaves separated
- 4 ounces snow peas, trimmed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon water
- 3 tablespoons Asian grilling glaze*
- Steamed rice for serving
- * Available at Williams-Sonoma stores.
- 1 To prepare the steak, in a small bowl, combine the grilling rub and salt. Rub the mixture on both sides of the flank steak. Place the steak on a plate, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours.
- 2 Preheat an indoor grill on high heat, or prepare a hot fire in an outdoor grill. Arrange the steak on the grill and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the steak and brush with 2 tablespoons of the grilling glaze. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes more for medium-rare. Turn the steak again and brush with the remaining 2 tablespoons glaze. Transfer to a carving board, cover loosely with aluminum foil and let stand before slicing.
- 3 Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables: Heat a wok or large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil, carrot and mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until the carrot is tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the bok choy and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the snow peas and garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- 4 In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water. Reduce the heat to medium, add the cornstarch mixture and grilling glaze, and stir to coat the vegetables evenly with the sauce. Transfer to a large platter.
- 5 Thinly slice the steak across the grain and transfer to the platter. Serve immediately with steamed rice.