This asparagus and stir fried steak teriyaki dish makes a great one-pot meal, especially piled over a bed of baby spinach or arugula. It’s a stunning main course!
This recipe comes from the cookbook, Dinner at Home, by JeanMarie Brownson. She’s the former test kitchen director for The Chicago Tribune, serving when, as she says, “It was a heady time to be in the food business.” Notable chefs came to the Tribune, she says, such as Julia Child, Jacques Pepin, Paul Prudhomme, Alice Waters and many others. She’s also the co-author of Rick Bayless’s award-winning second cookbook, Rick Bayless’s Mexican Kitchen, and a partner in Frontera Foods and Red Fork Natural Foods.
The collection in this cookbook comes from her Dinner at Home column in the Tribune, and is full of tips and stories that bring the food to life. Beth Wray took the time to show us exactly how to make it in her latest episode of Today’s Cookbook.
Recipe used by permission.
Published by the Chicago Tribune.
- 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon wasabi paste or powder, optional
- 8 ounces skirt steak (or other tender steak)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons expeller-pressed canola oil, safflower oil or peanut oil
- 1 small red onion, halved, cut into thing wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 bunch skinny asparagus, ends trimmed, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 cups chilled, cooked brown or white rice
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- 1 Mix teriyaki sauce and wasabi in small bowl for serving.
- 2 Cut steak into 3-inch-wide pieces. Turn the pieces so you can cut the steak against the grain into super-thin slices.
- 3 Beat eggs with sesame oil and a pinch of salt in a small bowl. Put all ingredients near cooking surface.
- 4 Heat a well-seasoned wok (or large deep-sided nonstick skillet) over high heat until a drop of water evaporates on contact.
- 5 Add 1 tablespoon oil, then add onion.
- 6 Stir-fry over high heat, 2 minutes.
- 7 Sprinkle with sugar and a pinch of salt.
- 8 Stir-fry until nicely caramelized, about 3 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer onion to a large plate.
- 9 Add 1 tablespoon oil to wok; add asparagus and bell pepper.
- 10 Stir-fry until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes.
- 11 Stir in garlic; cook 30 seconds. Transfer to plate.
- 12 Add 1 tablespoon oil to wok; add sliced steak.
- 13 Stir-fry until medium-rare, 2-3 minutes. Transfer to plate.
- 14 Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to wok. When hot, add egg mixture; stir-fry with a spatula until lightly scrambled.
- 15 Add the rice; stir-fry until very hot, about 3 minutes.
- 16 Stir in all ingredients from plate. Stir-fry until heated through, 2-3 minutes.
- 17 Drizzle with teriyaki sauce.
- 18 Serve garnished with cilantro.