Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com
Frittatas are flat Italian omelettes. In spring, they are made with seasonal vegetables such as young artichokes, tender asparagus, baby leeks or wild mushrooms. When cut into bite-size pieces and garnished with a little creme fraiche and spring chives, they make a tasty hors d’oeuvre.
Nutrition Information per Serving:
Calories: 28 Fat, Total: 2g Carbohydrates, Total: 1g
Cholesterol: 34mg Sodium: 67mg Protein: 2g
Fiber: 0g % Cal. from Fat: 64% % Cal. from Carbs: 14%
Cooking.com Tip: To ensure perfectly cooked asparagus, an asparagus steamer is the tool of choice. The steamer holds the asparagus upright, allowing for even cooking as the stems cook at a higher heat. The asparagus emerges perfectly cooked without damage to the delicate tips.
Cuisipro 10-in. Twist Whisk, Red
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup minced fresh chives
- 1/1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- One 1-pound bunch fresh asparagus, trimmed, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 yellow onion, minced
- 1/3 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1 Preheat broiler. Whisk eggs, 1/4 cup chives, parsley, Parmesan cheese, half and half, salt and pepper in large bowl until just blended. Melt butter and oil in heavy nonstick 10-inch-diameter omelette pan over medium heat. Add asparagus and onion and saute until asparagus is crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Pour egg mixture over asparagus. Reduce heat to low; cook until edges are just set, about 3 minutes. Using heat-proof spatula, lift cooked edges of egg mixture and tilt pan so uncooked eggs run beneath. Continue cooking until egg mixture is nearly set on top, about 5 minutes. Broil until just puffed and lightly golden on top, about 2 minutes.
- 2 Slide spatula under frittata to loosen; slide out onto cutting board. Cut frittata into 1-inch squares. (Can be made 1 hour ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)
- 3 Arrange squares on serving platter. Spoon dollop of creme fraiche atop each square. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup chives and serve.