Ring in the flavors of spring and summer with a delicious salad packed with marinated onions and a homemade dressing made with orange peel, vinegar, honey, and oil. So fresh and flavorful!
Recipe and image provided by the National Onion Association.
- 1 red onion, medium-sized
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 oranges
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted and skin removed
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and sliced, seeds removed
- Endive and/or small romaine lettuce spears
- 1 Peel and thinly slice 1 medium red onion. Combine 1/4 cup rice vinegar, honey, and water in a jar with tight-fitting lid. Shake until well blended.
- 2 Add onions to the jar. Shake jar to coat onions in liquid, then refrigerate overnight or for at least 6 hours.
- 3 If necessary, shake the jar 2-3 times during the 6 hours to be sure the onions marinade evenly.
- 4 Pare and slice oranges; remove seeds. Slice avocado.
- 1 Combine orange peel, oil, remaining 1/4 cup vinegar, and honey in a small jar with a lid.
To Arrange the Salad
- 1 For each serving, arrange endive and/or romaine leaves in a spoke-fashion on individual plates.
- 2 Portion oranges, avocado and grapefruit pieces onto the center spokes of endive and/or romaine.
- 3 Lift Marinated Onions from liquid with a fork and transfer to the top of each salad. Drizzle with dressing before serving.