Breakfast isn’t just for mornings anymore but a perfect anytime meal when you crave that familiar comfort food. Enjoy this simple but deliscious breakfast recipe that highlights bacon cheesy grits & fried eggs… great for filling up your morning or even a late night snack.
Let’s be honest, there’s never a bad time for bacon!
- 3 slices bacon, diced & trimmed of excess fat 1 large shallot, diced
- 1 3/4 cup of water + 1/4 cup milk 1/2 cup corn grits (recommend quick cooking type)
- 2/3 cup grated cheese of choice (shredded Italian Blend or Cheddar recommended). handful of fresh arugula 1/2 tsp. olive oil 2 large eggs salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Sauté diced bacon & shallot over medium heat in a frying pan until cooked & lightly brown (4 to 5 minutes). Set aside.
- 2 Bring the water & milk to a rolling boil in a small saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to low, stir in the grits, bacon & shallot. Cover and continue cooking for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until the grits have thickened.
- 3 While the grits are cooking, heat a drizzle of olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Crack the eggs into the pan, season with salt & pepper, and cover. Cook over medium until the whites are set but the yolk is still soft. Set aside
- 4 Remove the grits from the heat. Stir in the cheese and arugula. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 5 Spoon the grits into two shallow bowls. Top each bowl with a fried egg.
- 6 Serve immediately.