This simple starter combines sweet, salty and savory flavors in one delicious bite. Use regular-cut, not thick-cut, bacon to ensure the bacon and dates cook evenly.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
- 24 pitted Medjool dates, about 1 lb. (500 g)
- 2 oz. (60 g) salted Marcona almonds
- 1 lb. (500 g) bacon, each slice halved crosswise
- 1 Preheat an oven to 425°F (220°C). Set a wire rack on a rimmed baking sheet. Line a large plate with a double layer of paper towels.
- 2 Stuff each date with 1 or 2 almonds. Lay each date on top of a bacon slice, wrap to enclose and secure with a toothpick. Place on the rack-lined baking sheet. Transfer to the oven and bake until the bacon is crisp, about 20 minutes, turning the dates over halfway through the baking time.
- 3 Transfer the dates to the paper towels to drain, then arrange on a platter. Serve immediately. Makes 24 stuffed dates.