Baked Alaska is ready in a hurry when you use a frozen premade pound cake.
Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com.
Makes 8 servings
Facts per Serving
Calories: 500 Fat, Total: 56g Carbohydrates, Total: 57g
Cholesterol: 204mg Sodium: 271mg Protein: 9g
Fiber: 0g % Cal. from Fat: 101% % Cal. from Carbs: 46%
- One 10.75-ounce frozen pound cake
- 1 quart (rectangular container) coffee ice cream, slightly softened
- 5 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 Line baking sheet with wax paper. Cut pound cake horizontally into 3 equal pieces. Lightly brush each layer with brandy. Place bottom layer of cake on prepared baking sheet.
- 2 Remove ice cream from container. Cut ice cream horizontally into 4 inch-thick slices. Place one ice cream slice on first cake layer, top with second cake layer. Repeat two more times. Cover cake with plastic wrap and freeze until firm, at least 3 hours.
- 3 Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in large bowl until soft peaks form. Beat in vanilla. Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff glossy peaks form.
- 4 Using off-set spatula, spread meringue over cake, covering completely. Freeze cake overnight.
- 5 Holding kitchen torch close to meringue and moving in a side-to-side motion, lightly brown meringue. If you don't have a kitchen torch you can also brown the cake by baking it in a preheated 450ºF. oven for 2 minutes.