Sliders continue to grow in popularity, especially when it comes to home entertaining. They’re perfectly sized and allow you to serve a variety of sides and other small-portion entrées to complete your lunch, dinner, special-event or game-day spread. Along with pizza and wings, sliders are an essential game-day food.
This recipe for Balsamic Short-Rib Sliders is on-trend and full of flavor. It comes to us from Chef Anthony Alaimo, the award-winning visionary behind the menu at 101 North Eatery & Bar in Westlake Village, Calif. 101 is an American restaurant that provides an indulgent experience with a strong community connection. Chef works with local farmers, growers and artisans to offer patrons the best in local ingredients.
Alaimo trained in the United States and Europe, eventually landing at The Bellagio and Le Cirque in Las Vegas, before opening an Italian restaurant in Macau, China. He’s the perfect expert for these slider sensations! —Editor
- 4 pounds boneless beef short ribs (cut into 5-inch square pieces)
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 cups port wine
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup (divided) vegetable oil
- For seasoning salt and pepper
- 12 brioche slider rolls
- 1 cup green apples, cored, julienned
- 1 cup celery hearts, julienned
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup balsamic glaze
- 1 Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- 2 Season the short ribs with salt and pepper.
- 3 Place a large Dutch oven or oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat and add 1/4 cup oil.
- 4 Brown the short ribs on all sides, remove from pan, place on plate and reserve to the side.
- 5 Add remaining oil, carrots, onions and celery to the pan. Cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- 6 Add port wine to the pan and reduce half way.
- 7 Add beef stock and short ribs. Cover and place in oven for 3 hours.
- 8 Remove pan from oven and let rest on a rack for 1 hour.
- 9 In medium bowl, mix julienned celery and apples, olive oil, lemon juice and sea salt.
- 10 Remove ribs from pan, place each piece of short rib on the slider rolls and lightly coat with balsamic glaze.
- 11 Top with celery green and apple salad before serving.