Bananas Foster French Toast – What a way to take a fancy dessert and turn it into a meal!
This recipe is an easy way to show you know what you are doing in the kitchen. We don’t recommend flambe for this, however!
See our Editor’s Blog, Eggs After Dark, for commentary on this recipe.
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 ripe bananas sliced lengthwise, then in half
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 8-10 slices French bread, about 3/4-inch thick
- 1 Dip bread into egg/cream mixture and cook in butter on a skillet or flat top grill. Turn once; it should be golden brown on both sides.
- 2 In a sauté pan, melt butter, add bananas then brown sugar and cinnamon mixture. Stir sauce and turn bananas until caramelized.
- 3 Put French toast on plate and top with bananas and sauce. Dust with confectioner's sugar. Serve with syrup.