In this Beet, Goat Cheese and Walnut Salad recipe, the richness of the beets and goat cheese balance the lightness of the arugula and basil.
Recipe courtesy of California Walnuts. For more simple recipes like this, click here.
- 1 1/4 pounds Beets, red and golden, medium size
- 3 cups Baby arugula
- 1/2 cup California walnuts, coarsely chopped, toasted
- 1 ounce Goat cheese (chevre), soft, crumbled
- To taste Pepper, freshly ground
- 3 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons White wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Basil leaves, fresh, lightly packed, torn
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 To prepare dressing, puree all dressing ingredients in a small blender or food processor. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 2 Preheat oven to 400F. Rinse beets and remove tops if still attached. Wrap each in foil, leaving room for air to circulate. Place on a baking sheet and cook for about 50 minutes or until beets are tender when pierced with a sharp knife. Let cool, then slip off skins. Discard ends and slice beets 1/4-inch thick.
- 3 Place arugula in a large shallow bowl and toss with half the dressing. Layer beets over arugula and drizzle with remaining dressing. Top with walnuts and cheese and season with pepper.