In this Beet, Goat Cheese and Walnut Salad recipe, the richness of the beets and goat cheese balance the lightness of the arugula and basil.
- 1 1/4 pounds Beets, red and golden, medium size
- 3 cups Baby arugula
- 1/2 cup California walnuts, coarsely chopped, toasted
- 1 ounce Goat cheese (chevre), soft, crumbled
- To taste Pepper, freshly ground
- 3 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons White wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Basil leaves, fresh, lightly packed, torn
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 To prepare dressing, puree all dressing ingredients in a small blender or food processor. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 2 Preheat oven to 400F. Rinse beets and remove tops if still attached. Wrap each in foil, leaving room for air to circulate. Place on a baking sheet and cook for about 50 minutes or until beets are tender when pierced with a sharp knife. Let cool, then slip off skins. Discard ends and slice beets 1/4-inch thick.
- 3 Place arugula in a large shallow bowl and toss with half the dressing. Layer beets over arugula and drizzle with remaining dressing. Top with walnuts and cheese and season with pepper.