Recipe courtesy Stef of Cupcakeproject.com.
Were the Better Than Sex Cupcakes Better than Sex? I offer you selected quotes from three tasters:
“Sex, what’s that?”
“It could be better that sex. I’ll have to go home and compare.”
Do not try to overfill your cupcake liner. She recommend filling it 2/3 full. I changed the recipe to reflect the fact that I only filled mine about 1/2 way.
Makes 16 regular cupcakes.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2/3 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- FOR THE DARK CHOCOLATE GRANACHE:
- 3.5 oz of dark chocolate broken into small pieces (I used Patric chocolate)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- FOR THE WHITE CHOCOLATE DRIZZLE: 2 ounces white chocolate
- 1 Beat butter until softened. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- 2 Add eggs, one at a time, beating until well combined.
- 3 Measure the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder into a small sized bowl and whisk to combine. Measure out the milk and vanilla and stir to combine.
- 4 Add about a third of the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar and beat to combine. Add about a half of the milk/vanilla and beat to combine. Continue adding, alternating between dry and wet and finishing with the dry.
- 5 Stir in chocolate chips. Scoop batter into cupcake cups about 1/2 full. Bake at 350 degrees for 22-25 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- 6 Fill the cupcakes with any chocolate mousse recipe you like. I strongly recommend trying a homemade chocolate mousse.
- 7 FOR THE DARK CHOCOLATE GRANACHE: Place the chocolate in a small glass bowl. Heat the cream in a small saucepan until it just starts to boil. Pour the cream over the chocolate and stir until all the chocolate is melted and integrated with the cream. While it is still warm, spread a thin layer of it over the cupcakes. It will harden when it cools.
- 8 FOR THE WHITE CHOCOLATE DRIZZLE: Melt 2 ounces of white chocolate. You can do this on the stove, but I find it easier to do in the microwave. I do it for 20 seconds at a time. Stir after each round. When it is all melted, you are done. It should take about a minute. Pour the melted chocolate into a plastic sandwich bag or a disposable pastry bag. Cut a very small hole at the tip of the bag and draw whatever kind of funky pattern you want onto your cupcakes!