This classic Bisquick Crumb Coffeecake recipe was once a staple in many kitchens, when boxes of cake and biscuit mixes included recipes. With new food-labeling requirements and recipes being available via websites, the art of box recipes sometimes seems lost. Here’s a salute to those box recipes that are such an important part of our speed-scratch cooking heritage.
- 1-1/2 cups baking mix (Bisquick® or other)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk or water
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons margarine or butter, softened (not melted)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 8-inch square pan or 9-inch round pan.
- 2 Beat all ingredients except topping in large bowl on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly.
- 3 Beat on medium speed 4 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- 4 Pour into pan.
- 5 Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 6 Make topping and spread over cake.
- 7 Set oven control to broil.
- 8 Broil about 3 inches from heat about 3 minutes or until golden brown.