This black bean and grilled vegetable salad is best served when the vegetables are still slightly warm from the grill, or at room temperature within 1 to 2 hours of grilling. The beans and vegetables should be mildly spiced and glistening with the vinaigrette.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
- FOR THE VINAIGRETTE:
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Hot-pepper sauce, to taste
- Olive oil for grilling
- 2 small yellow onions, quartered
- 2 yellow bell peppers, quartered and seeded
- 2 red bell peppers, quartered and seeded
- 2 Anaheim chilies, halved and seeded
- 2 jalapeño chilies, halved and seeded
- 2 cans (each 15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, leaves only, chopped
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 To make the vinaigrette, in a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, vinegar, cumin, chili powder, salt pepper and a few dashes of hot-pepper sauce.
- 2 Prepare a grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat. Brush and oil the grate or a vegetable-grilling basket. Brush the yellow onions, bell peppers and chilies with oil.
- 3 Arrange the yellow onions, bell peppers and chilies on the grill or in the vegetable-grilling basket over the hottest part of the fire. Grill, turning occasionally, until well charred on all sides, about 10 minutes total.
- 4 Transfer the grilled vegetables to a bowl, cover and let steam for 10 minutes. Pick over the vegetables, removing most of the burned skin and leaving some charred bits. Dice the vegetables to a uniform size and place in a large salad bowl.
- 5 Add the black beans, cilantro, red onion and vinaigrette and toss to coat evenly. Serve warm or at room temperature.