Ready for a blueberry pie that packs a delicious punch? Caity Pies, a small-batch handmade pie bakery in Nashville, Tenn., is sharing this delicious recipe for Black & Blue (Berry) Rock & Rye pie in honor of July 4th.
Made with Slow & Low Rock and Rye Whiskey, it’s a contemporary take on one of grandma’s favorites that’s full of flavor. Made with blackberries, blueberries, rye whiskey and a touch of fresh orange zest!
You can learn more about Caity Pies here.
- 1 batch, unbaked pie dough (can be store bought)
- 4 cups blueberries
- 2 cups blackberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons quick cooking tapioca
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange zest, divided
- 4 tablespoons Slow & Low Rock & Rye Whiskey
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- 1 Mix berries, sugar, flour, tapioca, half of the orange zest, and the Slow & Low in a bowl. Allow to rest for 15 minutes, or use immediately if fruit is frozen.
- 2 Roll out half of the dough In a 10-inch circle and line a 9-inch pie pan. Fill with berry mixture. Roll out remaining dough and cover berries either with a lattice or a top crust with slits across to vent.
- 3 Preheat oven to 425.
- 4 Crack an egg in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Brush across the top crust and add a sprinkle of turbinado sugar.
- 5 Bake for 20 minutes at 425 degrees F, then reduce heat to 350F. Continue to bake for 40-50 minutes, turning at least once. Cover the edges with foil towards the end of the bake, if needed.
- 6 Allow pie to cool for 5 hours or overnight. Sprinkle with remaining orange zest and serve with whiskey ice cream and a glass of Slow & Low.