Wild, natural black walnuts are an American heirloom ingredient, making them the perfect addition to this classic recipe.
Why Try? This is a wonderful dessert for people who prefer desserts that aren’t overly sweet.
- 2 cups black walnuts
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 cups oats, cooking
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 cups cherries, pitted
- 2 cups raspberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2 Combine flour, oats, and brown sugar. Blend in butter. Add black walnuts. Pat half of mixture into bottom of 9" x 12" pan.
- 3 Combine fresh fruit (or fruit filling of your choice*), sugar, and almond extract. Spread fruit mixture over crust; then spread remaining crust mixture over top of fruit.
- 4 Bake approximately 30 minutes. Let cool before serving.
- 5 *Can also substitute 2 (16-oz.) cans pie filling or frozen fruit for the fresh fruit. Add or omit sugar to taste.