- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper sauce (Tabasco)
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 Heat oil in a non-reactive saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and jalapeño, stirring until wilted, about 3 minutes.
- 2 Add the ketchup, vinegar, sugar, mustard and Tabasco and bring to a simmer. Add the blueberries and simmer over low heat, stirring until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- 3 Purée the sauce in a blender or food processor until smooth. Pass through a strainer and season with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature.