Traditionally filled with currants and nicknamed “Fly Cakes” these delightful little cakes actually are an amazing tribute to any fresh fruit. Whether you fill them with blueberries, cherries, strawberries, pears, apples or a combination of fruits they will surely be a huge hit for your family!
- 1 pound fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1 Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- 2 Mix together blueberries, ½ cup sugar and flour.
- 3 Cut 4 large circles out of each puff pastry sheet.
- 4 Put 2 to 3 spoonfuls of the blueberry mixture onto the center of each puff pastry circle.
- 5 Moisten the outer edges with water.
- 6 Gather the pastry up and around the filling to form a ball.
- 7 Tightly crimp the edges together to seal them.
- 8 Place the puff cakes seam side down on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- 9 Brush the surface lightly with water and sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- 10 Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- 11 Serve warm or room temperature.