Bobotie Recipe. Bobotie is a typical South African dish made with ground beef or lamb. Hearty and delicious.
Recipe courtesy of OliVaylle and submitted by Chantal Braunstein. OliVaylle is extra virgin olive oil from Australia.
- 1 fairly thick slice crustless bread (white or wheat)
- Bay leaves
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 5 teaspoons of OliVaylle's Olive Nectar
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 5 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 teaspoons chutney
- 1 tablespoon smooth apricot jam
- 1 tablespoon Worcester sauce
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 5 teaspoons brown vinegar
- 2 1/4 pounds ground beef, mutton, or lamb (raw mince)
- 1/4 cup green seedless grapes (sultanas)
- 3 eggs
- Pinch each salt and turmeric
- 1 Soak bread in milk.
- 2 Heat oil and butter in large pan and fry onions and garlic. When onions are soft, add curry powder, salt, chutney, jam, Worcester sauce, turmeric and vinegar and mix well.
- 3 Drain and mash bread and reserve milk.
- 4 Add bread to pan together with meat and grapes. Cook over low heat, stirring, and when meat loses its pinkness, remove from stove. Add 1 beaten egg, mix well, then spoon into a greased 11 x 7 inch baking dish and level the top.
- 5 Beat remaining eggs with reserved milk (you should have about 10 ounces) and the salt and turmeric. Pour over meat mixture and put a few bay leaves on top. Stand dish in a larger pan of water (this is important to prevent drying out) and bake, uncovered at 350 degrees F for 1 hour or until set.
- 6 Serve with yellow rice, chutney, sliced bananas and a diced tomato and onion sambal.