Bruschetta is a colorful and delicious appetizer for any gathering. For a lower-carb option, try this simple bruschetta stuffed in mushrooms instead of serving on the traditional baguette.
Recipe and photo from the Diabetes Superfoods Cookbook and Meal Planner: Power-Packed Recipes and Meal Plans Designed to Help You Lose Weight and Manage Your Blood Glucose. American Diabetes Association, 2019, ISBN: 978-1-580-40679-6.
Learn more in our review of the cookbook, Thirteen Superfoods To Fuel.
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/3 cup 2% mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 (14-ounce) pack stuffer (larger) mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 Cut tomatoes into quarters. Set aside.
- 2 In a skillet, heat olive oil and add garlic. Sauté garlic for about 1 minute.
- 3 Add tomatoes and continue to sauté for about 4 minutes.
- 4 Remove from heat and stir in basil and both cheeses.
- 5 Remove stems from mushrooms and fill with tomato mixture.
- 6 Bake in oven for 15 minutes at 350°F.
- 7 Let cool slightly and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Serve warm.