Bulgur is a form of wheat chocked full of nutrients. Use it to prepare this decadent dressing recipe.
Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com.
Facts per Serving
Calories: 446 Fat, Total: 14g Carbohydrates, Total: 64g
Cholesterol: 163mg Sodium: 1201mg Protein: 21g
Fiber: 14g % Cal. from Fat: 28% % Cal. from Carbs: 57%
- 2 cups water
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms (about 1 cup)
- 4 1/2 cups canned reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 1/4 pounds large-grain bulgur (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 8 ounces turkey or chicken livers, finely chopped
- 1 pound fresh cremini mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 Position rack in center of the oven, and preheat to 500ºF.
- 2 Butter 13x9x2-nch ceramic baking dish.
- 3 Bring 2 cups water to simmer in heavy medium saucepan. Remove from heat. Add porcini mushrooms. Cover; let stand 30 minutes.
- 4 Using slotted spoon, transfer mushrooms to bowl. Strain soaking liquid through cheesecloth-lined sieve to remove any grit. Transfer liquid in large pot. Finely chop porcini; set aside.
- 5 Bring porcini mushroom liquid, chicken broth and salt to boil. Stir in bulgur. Simmer until bulgur is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 6 Melt 1/4 cup butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add livers and saute just until gray (do not brown), about 3 minutes. Transfer livers to medium bowl. Set aside.
- 7 Melt remaining 1/4 cup butter in same skillet over medium heat. Add cremini mushrooms and saute until brown, about 8 minutes. Add onion and garlic and sauté until tender, about 2 minutes. Add thyme, reserved livers and porcini mushrooms. Saute 2 minutes. Cool slightly.
- 8 Stir mushroom mixture and parsley into bulgur. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer dressing to prepared baking dish. Bake, uncovered, until heated through and crisp on top, about 30 minutes. Dressing will keep warm for at least 30 minutes if covered with foil when removed from oven.