Just in time for your New Year’s celebration, a great Onion Dip from Chef Michael Mech. —Editor
“I consider my cool and refreshing recipe ‘dipping perfection’ for your favorite chips. And, I’ll be so bold as to say, it’s ideal for dipping anything from a crudité platter. But I also love to serve this as a topping on a baked potato with a big steak dinner or even as a filling for a brunch omelet.”
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-3/4 cups finely diced Spanish onions or yellow onions
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground horseradish (optional)
- 1 In a heavy sauté pan, heat oil, add the chopped onions and sprinkle with the sugar and kosher salt. Stir often, slowly caramelize the onions over medium heat until they are deep golden brown. Remove from heat and let cool.
- 2 In a large mixing bowl, combine the sour cream and mayonnaise and mix well. Add the garlic powder, pepper, salt, and horseradish. Then toss in the cooled sautéed onions and blend well. Transfer to your serving bowl and garnish with the paprika.
- 3 Best if made a day in advance so the flavors can meld over night.