What’s better than fresh blueberries to celebrate the end of summer? Fresh blueberries always remind me of my childhood summertime trips to Michigan, cottage life and rowboat adventures.
We would pick fresh blueberries on these trips and inevitably eat more than what made it into the basket. I also remember handheld fruit pies always cooling on a wire rack in the kitchen.
Simple handheld pies are a great grab-and-go treat. A perfect dessert for a picnic or beach outing as well. Easy to make and great for encouraging the young ones in the family to spend time in the kitchen.
Butter Pie Crust
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour (additional flour for rolling out the dough)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (one stick), chilled, chut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 2 cups large fresh blueberries (washed and dried)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest and 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup sugar (additional sugar for topping the pie crust)
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 egg white, whisked for egg wash
- As needed water for sealing the edges of the dough
Butter Pie Crust
- 1 Preheat oven 375 degrees F.
- 2 Mix flour, sugar, salt together in large mixing bowl.
- 3 Add butter blending well then add the ice water. Use your fingers or food processor to blend. The dough will be like sand or small grains.
- 4 Add additional water if needed. Remove dough from bowl and shape into a square.
- 5 Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 3 hours.
- 6 Remove from the refrigerator 15 minutes before rolling.
- 1 Place blueberries in a mixing bowl. Using the back of a large wooden spoon, break a few of the berries open against the side of the bowl.
- 2 Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, corn starch, sugar and salt and mix well.
- 1 Roll dough out, on a floured surface, to 16x12-inch rectangle. Cut into 6 equal squares.
- 2 Top each with equal portions of the blueberry mixture. Brush edges of the dough with water and fold the dough over.
- 3 Crimp with a fork to seal the edges.
- 4 Place pies on a parchment paper lined sheet pan. Brush with egg wash and top with additional granulated sugar.
- 5 Cut a few vents into the top crust.
- 6 Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.
- 7 Remove and cool on a baking rack.