Butter pecan cookies are a classic fan favorite. Whip up two-ingredient pecan butter and combine with this vegan cookie recipe for a pecan-filled, delicious dessert.
- 2-1/2 cups raw pecan halves
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 tablespoon ground flax
- 3 tablespoons plain plant milk or pecan milk
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons pecan butter
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup spelt flour (white), sifted
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup chopped pecan pieces
- For topping extra pecan halves and pieces
- 1 Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- 2 Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the raw pecan halves on the sheet, careful not to crowd them too much. Toast in oven for 20 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- 3 Once cooled, add them to the bowl of a food processor along with a pinch of sea salt. Blend until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides as needed.
- 4 Use in cookie recipe, and store leftover pecan butter in an airtight jar in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- 1 Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- 2 In a small bowl, combine the ground flax with the plant milk, set aside and allow to thicken for 5 minutes. In medium mixing bowl, combine pecan butter, coconut sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Add the thickened flax mixture and stir to combine.
- 3 Add the spelt flour, oat flour, baking soda, cinnamon, sea salt, and pecan pieces on top of the wet ingredients. Using a sturdy spoon, incorporate the dry into the wet ingredients. The mixture will seem stiff, but keep mixing until a gooey cookie dough forms.
- 4 Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and scoop the cookie dough into 12 equal balls. Roll each ball so that it's smooth. Place on sheet. Press down slightly on each ball to flatten it slightly.
- 5 Press a single pecan half, or a teaspoon of chopped pecan pieces, into the center of each cookie (pressing down well).
- 6 Bake the cookies for 12 minutes. Let cool for 2 minutes on the cookie sheet, and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- 7 Enjoy warm off the rack, and store lefovers in an airtight container on the counter or chilled in the refrigerator.
- 8 Best if enjoyed within 3 days.