Prepare this updated rendition of the classic bar cookie for the holiday dessert table or cookie exchanges.
Recipe courtesy of McCormick
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Cinnamon, Ground
- 3/4 teaspoon McCormick® Ginger, Ground
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Nutmeg, Ground
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, melted
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 7 ounces (1/2 of 14-ounce package) caramels, unwrapped
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix flour, oats, sugar, baking soda, salt and spices in large bowl. Add butter; stir until mixture is well blended and forms coarse crumbs. Reserve 1/2 (about 2 1/4 cups) for the topping. Add pumpkin and vanilla to remaining mixture in bowl; stir until well blended. Press evenly into bottom of greased foil-lined 13x9-inch baking pan. Set aside.
- 2 Microwave caramels and milk in medium microwavable bowl on HIGH 2 to 3 minutes or until caramels are completely melted, stirring after every minute. Let stand 1 minute. Pour over pumpkin mixture in pan, spreading to within 1/2-inch of edges. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- 3 Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack. Lift from pan. Cut into bars.