Macaroni and Cheese is a staple comfort food, especially when homemade! It isn’t always the healthiest dish to serve, but simple modifications can help.
Be sneaky! Add some nutrient-dense cauliflower into the prep work of your homemade Mac N’ Cheese. It won’t change the flavor or texture, but it will give you a reason to eat more servings, with less guilt. Dig in!
Cauliflower Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 lb elbow macaroni pasta
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon gluten-free flour
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups 2% milk, microwaved until hot
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- Dash freshly grated nutmeg
- Dash cayenne pepper (option)
- 1 head cauliflower, minced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Heat oven to 375. In a large sauce pan set to medium heat, saute the minced cauliflower, garlic and onion with the butter for about 10 minutes or translucent.
- 2 Sprinkle the flour over the cauliflower and stir until coated. Meanwhile, microwave the milk with the bay leaf for 1 minute. Slowly add the hot milk, whisking vigorously until well combined.
- 3 Add salt, cheddar, nutmeg and cayenne. Stir until combined, then taste and add salt to your liking.
- 4 Place in a baking dish, sprinkle with Parmesan and bake for about 10-15 minutes, or cheese is browned and bubbly. Cool slightly before serving.