To make this savory, Italian style dish faster, use a purchased rotisserie chicken. Cut it into 6 pieces. Prepare the sauce and simmer the chicken pieces in the sauce for about 15 minutes while you cook the pasta.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds chicken thighs and drumsticks
- 1/2 pound chicken livers, cleaned, trimmed of fat and coarsely chopped (optional)
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 pound cremini or button mushrooms, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 cups canned crushed plum tomatoes with juices
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound cavatelli, fusilli or other medium-size pasta
- 1 BROWN THE CHICKEN: In a large fry pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Working in batches, add the chicken to the pan and cook, turning once, until brown on both sides, about 10 minutes total per batch. Transfer to a platter.
- 2 In the same pan, warm 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the chicken livers and cook, stirring frequently, until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- 3 MAKE THE SAUCE: Return the pan to medium heat and warm the remaining 1 Tbs. oil. Add the onion, carrot, celery and bay leaves and sauté until the vegetables are softened and slightly browned, about 7 minutes.
- 4 Add the mushrooms and sauté until they have released some of their liquid, about 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes.
- 5 Add the chicken along with the livers and any accumulated juices. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, partially covered, until the chicken is opaque throughout, about 30 minutes. Remove the bay leaves and discard. Season with salt and pepper.
- 6 Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons salt and the pasta. Cook, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until al dente, according to the package instructions. Drain the pasta and divide among individual bowls.
- 7 Top with the sauce and chicken pieces and serve immediately.