What are the secrets to making tender flaky Cheddar Bacon Biscuits? When cutting the butter into the flour, work quickly so it doesn’t melt too much before you put the biscuits in the oven. And when adding the milk, don’t overmix the dough; stir until the ingredients are just combined.
Recipe Courtesy of Williams-Sonoma Kitchen.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold unsalted butter
- 1 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh chives
- 6 bacon slices, finely chopped and fried until crisp
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 Position a rack in the lower third of an oven and preheat to 400 degrees F. Lightly spray a biscuit pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- 2 In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the butter until it resembles coarse meal. Add the cheese, chives and bacon; using a fork, stir until evenly distributed. Add the milk; using a rubber spatula, stir until just combined. Divide the dough among the wells of the prepared pan.
- 3 Bake until the biscuits are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of a biscuit comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes. Invert the pan onto the rack and lift off the pan. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- 4 Makes 7 biscuits.