Cheesy Spinach Casserole Recipe to help combat the massive deficiency in vegetable consumption.
Recipe from the cookbook No Whine with Dinner by Janice Bissex and Liz Weiss.
Read our interview with Janice Bissex and see which U.S. states eat the most/least vegetables.
- 1 10-ounce box frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or melted butter
- 1/2 cup seasoned dried bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt
- 1 Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Lightly oil or coat an 8x8-inch baking pan or dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- 2 Drain the spinach in a colander. Press with the back of a large spoon to remove excess moisture. Set aside.
- 3 Whisk together the eggs, milk, and olive oil in a large bowl. Whisk in the bread crumbs and baking powder. Stir in the spinach, Cheddar cheese, and Parmesan cheese until well combined.
- 4 Spread the mixture evenly in the prepared pan. Bake until the mixture is set and the top is golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Slice into 2 X 4-inch rectangles and serve. Sprinkle the tops with a few pinches of salt to taste.