For a refreshing summertime appetizer, fill bite-size cherry tomatoes, round or pear shaped, with a savory mixture of goat cheese flavored with basil.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
- 24 cherry tomatoes, a mixture of red and yellow
- 1/4 pound fresh goat cheese (chèvre)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 Cut the top off each cherry tomato. Using a small spoon, scoop out the pulp to make a hollow yet sturdy shell. Drain off any juice that accumulates in the shells.
- 2 In a bowl, combine the cheese, basil, salt and pepper. Mix with a fork until well blended.
- 3 Using the small spoon, fill each tomato with about 1 teaspoon of the cheese mixture. Arrange the filled tomatoes on a platter to serve.
- 4 TIP:Minced tarragon or chervil can be used in place of the basil.