Here’s a crowd-pleasing, white-meat alternative to chili made with beef. This White Chicken Chili is ideal for basketball or football watch parties, tailgating, and casual gatherings!
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin, ground
- 3 teaspoons Mexican oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 cans (4.5 ounces) diced green chiles
- 4 cans (15 ounces) cannellini beans, drained, ½ of the liquid reserved
- 2-4 cups chicken broth, as needed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup cilantro, fresh, chopped
- Kosher salt and black pepper, as needed
- 1 Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, cumin, oregano, crushed red pepper and green chiles. Saute for about 5 min., then push to one side of the pan. Add in chicken to the other side of the pan. Season generously with kosher salt and black pepper. Cook the chicken until it is no longer pink, then combine the chile mixture with the chicken.
- 2 Pour in the beans, liquid, and 1/2 of the chicken broth. Let simmer for about 30-40 minutes. Add more chicken broth as needed for desired consistency. Before serving, remove from the heat, stir in heavy cream and cilantro.