A delicious, light and flavorful Chilled Salmon Salad with Orange Citrus Onions. Salmon with red and yellow onions, dry white wine, granted lime and orange peels, and orange juice, served on a bed of dark, leafy mixed salad greens.
Recipe and photo courtesy of the National Onion Association.
- 4 fresh salmon filets (5 ounces each)*
- To taste salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (or 1/4 cup each lemon juice and water)
- 3 medium yellow onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons orange peel, grated
- 1 teaspoon lime peel, grated
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 5 ounces mixed dark leafy salad greens (about 4 cups loosely packed)
- Garnish fresh dill sprigs or Italian parsley
- 1 Sprinkle salmon with salt and pepper. Portion red onion onto salmon filets and press on evenly with back of spoon.
- 2 Pour wine into 10-inch skillet and heat until bubbling at the edges.
- 3 Set salmon in wine, return liquid to a gentle boil and cover. Let cook gently without turning for 6-7 minutes or until salmon is cooked through and topping is rosy. Chill fish and liquid.
- 4 Heat oil in a large skillet, add yellow onions and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until golden. Remove from heat and mix in orange and lime peels and orange juice. Cover and chill.
- 5 To serve, portion lettuce onto 4 plates. Top with salmon filets. Lift onions from liquid with slotted spoon or fork and top salmon. Spoon juice from onions over salmon and lettuce. If desired, garnish with dill or parsley.
- 6 *If salmon filets have skin on them, purchase 4 (6-ounce) filets and remove skin.