Chocolate Strawberry Shortcakes Recipe. Rich chocolate shortcakes with sweetened strawberries, chocolate sauce and whipped cream. Shortcakes are fragile so be extra careful when splitting them for dessert.
Facts per Serving
Calories: 852 Fat, Total: 51g Carbohydrates, Total: 100g
Cholesterol: 148mg Sodium: 376mg Protein: 11g
Fiber: 6g % Cal. from Fat: 54% % Cal. from Carbs: 47%
Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com.
- FOR SHORTCAKES: 6 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- FOR STRAWBERRIES: 2 pounds strawberries, hulled, sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups chilled whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate Sauce
- 1 FOR SHORTCAKES: Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- 2 Line heavy large baking sheet with silicone baking pad or parchment paper.
- 3 Combine chocolate and 1/3 cup sugar in food processor and process until chocolate is finely ground. Add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt; process until combined. Add butter and process until mixture resembles fine meal. Mix egg with milk in small bowl to blend; pour over flour mixture in processor and pulse just until combined.
- 4 Spoon dough into six 3-inch mounds on prepared baking sheet, spacing evenly. Sprinkle with remaining 2 teaspoons sugar. Bake until cooked through, about 18 minutes. Carefully transfer shortcakes to rack. Cool completely.
- 5 DO-AHEAD TIP: Shortcakes can be made 1 day ahead. Wrap individually in plastic and store at room temperature.
- 6 FOR STRAWBERRIES: Toss strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar in large bowl. Let stand until juices form, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour.
- 7 Combine cream, sugar and vanilla in cream whipper.
- 8 Using serrated knife, carefully split shortcakes horizontally in half. Place bottom halves on each of 6 plates. Top shortcakes with strawberries, chocolate sauce, then whipped cream. Top with shortcake tops and serve.